2.18.2012

The Incredible Edible Egg

I tried. Again.  I just can't do eggs.  People think I'm crazy for not liking eggs.  I've tried them every way I can think of, but I just can't eat straight eggs.  This week, I made some little "egg muffins," which are like mini-strattas made in muffin tins.  Mine had turkey bacon, broccoli, cheese, chives, pepper, and eggs.  They looked great, smelled great, sounded great, but they weren't so great on the taste buds.  I don't think I screwed them up, I just think it's my aversion to eggs.

I do like scrambled eggs as long as they're not still yolky and it's an added bonus if they have plenty of cheese in them... and bacon on the side. (Hence, the reason I thought I'd like the aforementioned "egg muffins.")  I also like deviled eggs.  Sometimes I can even eat half of an egg salad sandwich because it tastes like deviled eggs on bread.  I can definitely eat eggs in a cake, in cookies, in fried rice, and sometimes even in a quiche or a stratta.  I love the idea and the smell of a fried egg sandwich or of a BLT with an egg added to it, but can't bring myself to actually enjoy such a thing.

I think all this dislike of eggs must stem back to a book I had when I was a kid that showed how a chick develops inside an egg.  I remember checking my eggs for signs of chick parts when I was a kid.  Why does that bother me?  I have no idea!  I love to eat chicken!  Damn books.

It doesn't bother me when other people eat eggs--the rest of my family loves them.  It does make me gag if someone tries to get me to taste, think, or talk about fried eggs as they're eating them.  What's that about??

Eggs are good for me.  Eggs are a fantastic source of protein.  Eggs are a quick and easy way to handle the most important meal of the day.  Eggs are incredibly edible... for other people.

I wonder if hypno-therapy would help...

No comments:

Post a Comment